#50 – Black Cat

#50 Black Cat - Darren MacEachern

#50 Black Cat - Darren MacEachern

Tied by: Darren MacEachern
Originated by: Carrie Stevens
Sources: Carrie G. Stevens: Maker of Rangeley Favorite Trout and Salmon Flies – Hilyard Pg. 126-127

Hook: Gaelic Supreme Mike Martinek 8xl #1
Thread: Black
Tag: Silver tinsel
Tail: Red hackle fibers
Body: Silver tinsel
Belly: White bucktail
Throat: Black hackle fibers
Wing: Four black hackles
Eye: Jungle cock nail
Head: Black (optional red band)

Notes: There is a certain elegance in the simple patterns such as the Black Cat. While it does appear simple, there are a couple spots on the fly to take note of, and failing to do so will result in a bit of a messy fly. The tail is somewhat difficult if you want to maintain a smooth body. The best way I have found to keep the body smooth is to extend the bulk of the tail along the length of the body. I use a piece of yarn to achieve this. The other spot to pay close attention to is the jungle cock nail. It is glued onto the wing along the stem, and because there is no shoulder feather to hide any excess glue, the tyer must be precise with the application of glue while assembling the wing. Some versions of the streamer also include a splash of red schlappen in front of the wing.

Darren MacEachern – Darren has been fishing from the age of 4 all across Canada. He started on the east coast in Prince Edward Island before moving west to the banks of the Bow River in Calgary Alberta. He now resides just outside of Toronto, fishing the Great Lakes and the fine tributary waters around.
Daily Fly Tyer | Streamers 365 | Fly Fusion
[visit Darren’s streamer page]

9 Comments

1. Shoreman says:

Nice, very nice.

Mark

2. avril anjers says:

Simply elegant! I really appreciate your tips. Sometimes you go to tie a fly and it’s just those few tid bits of information that makes or breaks a fly.

1. pacres says:

Thanks Avril. I’ve had lot of helpful critiques over the years that I’ve picked up tips from.

3. Charles Mann says:

The Black Cat is a outstanding picture of beauty I will be tying a couple this weekend at a show. I will be trying them this spring trolling for brook trout and salmon.

1. pacres says:

Thanks Charlie! I’ll chat with soon I’m sure.

4. Kelly L says:

Wow, Darren…you blew it all out on this one. Magnificent! I love it!!

1. pacres says:

Thanks Kelly!

5. Very beautiful Black Cat Darren. I just tied one recently myself but no where near as nice as yours. Thank you for the tips and I will store that info away for future use.

1. pacres says:

Thanks Loretta. I was pretty pleased with how this one turned out. I had tied one up a few months back and misplaced it. I had to tie another as I had scheduled it here. I found the original one I had tied for the project shortly after tying this one and decided this one was the nicer streamer.