#95 – Ginger Snap (Var)

Source: Long Streamers Long Flies: Ken Thayer 1997 Pg. 8

Hook: Gaelic Supreme Mike Martinek Rangeley Streamer Hook 6xl #1
Thread: Black fwn
Tag: Gold oval tinsel
Tail: Golden pheasant tippet
Butt: Burnt orange floss
Body: copper tinsel (flatbraid / Axxel Flash)
Belly: Light yellow bucktail
Throat: Golden pheasant tippet
Wing: Natural ginger saddle
Shoulder: Golden pheasant tippet
Eye: Jungle cock
Head: Black

Notes: The pattern was found in the hard to find booklet called “Long Feathers, Long Flies” put together by fly tyer Ken Thayer in 1997. It’s really a shame that there were only 200 copies of the booklet printed as it features a nice tome of Ken’s streamers, some 70+ patterns are published in the book. The Ginger snap was one that caught my eye, and I wanted to share this rarity. I opted to use a nice natural ginger saddle hackle, straying from the original wing of yellow hackle flanked by burnt orange hackle, and an undering of yellow bucktail over orange bucktail.

Darren MacEachern – Darren has been fishing from the age of 4 all across Canada. He started on the east coast in Prince Edward Island before moving west to the banks of the Bow River in Calgary Alberta. He now resides just outside of Toronto, fishing the Great Lakes and the fine tributary waters around.
Daily Fly Tyer | Streamers 365 | Fly Fusion
[visit Darren’s streamer page]

7 Comments

1. Kelly L says:

I had to come back for another peek, and to see the wonderful comments. Darren, it is just stunning. I adore this pattern, and you more than did it justice!

2. barry phillips says:

Hey Darren those are beautiful streamers,I knew you had it in you. The way these are done it is obvious that you really liked what you saw.

3. Alan says:

Great streamer. Those colors blend so well.

4. pacres says:

A humble thank-you Peter, Kelly and Dan.

I’m pretty floored right now by all the comments and I’m really excited to hear the reactions to the fly.

I was lucky enough to find this book last year, and although it was a bit on the pricey side and I had to negotiate it’s release into Canada, it was well worth it. (I think I paid about $65 for it) There are lots of streamers in the book, but only a few may be appropriate for the project, and I’ll hopefully have some more included down the road.

Kelly, I couldn’t agree more about the difficulty associated with tying in GP tippets. Tying them in as a tail and throat can also be tricky trying to keep the bright side out.

Peter, glad you like to colors. I had tied this up for the project last year and had used a smaller hook, but decided to re-tie this week as I wasn’t too happy with the original. I really do like the results of these, and I think that having the 2 flies in the picture helps to sell it. 🙂

Dan, I don’t know what to say except, thank you! I’m happy to be able to present the streamers.

BTW, these red sandstones are from my birthplace in Prince Edward Island. They seemed to go nice with the ginger.

cheers

5. Dan Wight says:

WOW, This pattern has so many subtle shadings and details I was instantly caught by it and just sit facinated looking over the materials. This, I must say NEVER happens to me, I have been tying and fishing flys since boyhood and I’m 62. Truely, fly tying is the anglers art. Well done.

6. Kelly L says:

Darren, thanks for pulling a rarity out for this project. Beautiful pattern! Lovely job on the flies. Definite winners for me. Golden Pheasant tippets are not very easy to tie for me, I imagine this may of been challenging for you. (or maybe not) Regardless, you have made flies to be proud of here. Love them!
    Kelly

7. Peter Frailey says:

That’s one of the most beautiful flies I’ve ever seen. I realize it isn’t “alive” with colors as it is mostly a subdued ginger color. But it all is put together so well and of course the tying is exquisite. Super nice job Darren.

Peter