Don was born and has lived in Pennsylvania all his life. He started fishing at about the same time he learned to walk. He has been tying flies and fly fishing since 1964. He has taught fly tying classes since 1987, has 16 years guiding experience, and has been operating his business, Bastian’s Angling Specialties since 1983.
His passion for fly fishing has taken him to waters in Canada, Maine, England, Montana, Wyoming, and New York, but most of Don’s fly fishing experience has been accumulated on the waters in his home state of Pennsylvania. He enjoys fishing and tying flies for trout, land-locked salmon, small and largemouth bass, panfish, steelhead, pike, and has caught salt-water species of striped bass, shad,
He is the author of three fly tying DVD’s, Tying Classic Wet Flies, Advanced Classic Wet Flies, and Traditional Streamers and Bucktails. Many of Don’s classic wet flies and streamers are featured in many well known publications:
- Art of Angling Journal, published by Complete Sportsman.
- Forgotten Flies – approximately 765 flies published
- Rare and Unusual Fly Tying Materials – Volume II – Fifteen classic wet fly patterns from Trout by Ray Bergman, are included in the book.
- Hatches Magazine Online – The Ray Bergman Collection, upon completion will feature 483 classic wet fly patterns with updated recipes, tied and photographed by Don.
- Fly Tyers of the World, Vol.IV – Don’s fly tying talent is included in the upcoming volume four in this exquisite five-volume set.
Don has reproduced the entire set of wet fly patterns, totaling 483, from Trout and other books by Ray Bergman four times. He has two daughters and four grandsons, who one day, will hopefully all become fly tyers.